Source: FDA, click for full article
- The FDA is alerting pet owners and veterinary professionals about recalls of several dry dog foods after receiving complaints that dogs eating the food experienced vitamin D toxicity.
- Testing found that samples of the dog food contained excessive, potentially toxic amounts of vitamin D. Vitamin D is an essential nutrient for dogs, but very high amounts can cause serious health problems like kidney failure or death.
- At this time, the only pet products that have been impacted are food made for dogs.
- Pet owners should discontinue feeding these recalled products.
- The FDA is asking veterinarians who suspect vitamin D toxicity in their patients to report them through the Safety Reporting Portal or by calling their local FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinators. Pet owners can also report suspect cases to the FDA.
- This is a developing situation and additional recalls may be announced.
Brands Affected include: Nutrisca, Natural Pet Life Products, Sunshine Mills, ANF, Lidl, Kroger, ELM Pet Foods, Ahold Delhaize. CHECK FDA WEBSITE TO BE ABSOLUTELY SURE OF SAFETY OF YOUR PET'S FOOD.
Here's a video of funny dogs. Just for funsies.